Last semester I tackled wood from as many points of view as possible. I made a wave-shaped bed form using an ArborTech grinder, I made some thin bent kinetic straps, a cradle that rocked diagonally, a creature head from a basswood log, and finally, this chair. I’d been tempting myself toward furniture for some time, and had yet to make a real leap into sculpting or owning a piece, and this was it. In about three weeks, I went from log to finished upper-half of a chair (for class it wasn’t to have any legs), and am very proud of the results. The joints are still strong and tight now, months later, and once I get a chance to build stretchers into the legs it’ll be out in public and usable once again. Check out some photos below. Continue reading
So last year I went with MassArt to Virginia to take part in a collaborative project between said school, the Virginia Military Institute, and the Timber Framer’s Guild. And this year we did it again. Most students, more cadets, and more fun. The students designed the structure for a Habitat for Humanity community that was being built not far from where we all stayed and worked, on the Mullen’s property in Rockbridge County. It’s always a treat to do these projects, a real escape from life into something idyllic and workmanlike, and this was no exception. Check out some photos below.
Straps smithed on-site
Hey all, been a crazy year. Just now as things are ramping up to reviews and winding down from classes, I thought I’d shoot a bunch of things online that I hadn’t shown off yet. So along with two other posts about major projects, and more of those to come, here are some little things I’ve played with this past semester. Continue reading
Brownington, VT. The Old Stone House was constructed back in the 1800s by Alexander Twilight, the first black college graduate of the U.S., out of massive stones, to be a schoolhouse for the children of Brownington. A barn used house the students’ animals which they would use for food and money for their schooling, but had fallen into disrepair and was disassembled in the early 1900s.
Second part of moldmaking was getting into object casting, dealing with releases for different materials, how to make various rubber molds, from injection to zipper cut to simple glove molds, and brush molds with added colorants and polyfiber for strength. We had to do two materials of one object, a waste mold (not shown, but it’s a clay sculpture that gets a plaster mold – mine was 4 pieces – and then the clay is broken/washed out and the mold is used for another material), and 15 casts from a rubber mold of an object. Continue reading