Goal: Use tracings (of anything) to compose an image
Method: Trace my future home to make a map of my present self
This was a very open assignment, as were most of the later-semester projects in my studio classes, that simply asked us to trace lots of stuff – anything we wanted – and assemble those tracings into a drawing. We did this over spring break, so we had 3 weeks to do it and finish our Mapping Routine project, so naturally mine became much more complicated than that… Continue reading
Make a 40-panel comic of any creation story
This project was essentially a giant fail on my part. I wanted to take a short story and extend it with beautiful artwork, and on top of that I wanted to use watercolors, a medium I’d never used before, and certainly not to this scale with this kind of planning and organization and specificity.
Needless to say, I chose entirely the wrong medium for the situation. If I’d tested things out more and had more time (as in not over-washing the boards with water and paint and just waiting to the layers dry), maybe something decent would have come out of it. But everyone makes mistakes, so hopefully I’ll take this lesson with me into future projects.
old art in a new setting
For this one we had to chose an old, famous piece of art and put it into any background of our choice using ink for the background and acrylic or gouache for the art piece.
After seeing the Winged Victory of Samothrace in art history and loving it, I had to use that piece. Since she’s (at least currently) missing arms and a head, I gave her Popeye arms and the woman’s head from the ‘We Can Do It!’ poster. She’s standing in the center of a roller-derby rink.
assorted drapery drawings
There’s ink, charcoal, graphite and mixes of those in here. The graphite robed woman is from a Greek sculpture in the MFA, I went in and sat and drew for about 2-3 hours total, over two visits. All 18×24 on drawing paper.
ink still life, open tools
These were an open assignment, just find objects and draw them with ink, using whatever tools we wanted, on 18×24 drawing paper. Mine are a bit small on the pages, but they came out looking pretty good. I used brushes and reed pen and sumi ink.